Sunday, January 24, 2010

Men Who Struggle with Attraction and Dating... Turn to Pick up Artists for Help?!?

Okay.

Okay, I'm at a loss here.

I don't even know what to say, and believe me, this does not happen often. Some men just are not good with women, aren't smoooooth operators and just don't understand attraction and the dating game. We all know this- even know many men who fall into these categories.

But what the bloody hell is this underground 'Pick-up Artist' community?! I mean, I've seen the show.. but I did not realize that there was some kind of cult following. I would never have thought that people actually emulated this guy- he looks like a slimy, borderline creepster, chronic masturbator for God sakes! If he approached me in a bar, I would be looking around for help, while hoping that this dude isn't planning on kidnapping me and wearing my skin.

Anyway enough with making fun of that lovely individual- he does help men build confidence, and for that I must give him props. But this PUA community really gives me the creeps. I stumbled upon a message board online and after reading through a bit of it, I immediately starting racking my brain questioning every male interaction I have ever had. Were they just trying to 'pick me up'? Were they doing some little act that they learned from a blinged-out, man in makeup?

Seriously, these guys not only have their own little language going, but they basically have 'picking up' women down to a step-by-step science. What happened to just meeting someone and letting the attraction unfold organically? Is it even real if it was all contrived by a man diabolically messing with our minds in some plot to make us fall for him?

I'm really bothered by the fact that there are so many guys that are so obsessed with validating themselves by testing whether they can manipulate a woman into falling in love with him. And it IS manipulation. Lines and acts may increase the attraction a woman may feel in the very beginning- but she is going to be very disappointed when she realizes that she fell for an act. Because you can't keep up an act forever. And why would you even want to?

We all deserve relationships where we are loved and valued for who we are. Not some act. Not what you can buy someone. While it is great to build your confidence and charisma- it's just odd to want to try to build a relationship on some method that a so-called Pick up Artist taught you.

Boys, boys, boys.. when will you ever learn.

Well that's all for my dating rant for the day, Google 'pick up artists', for an amusing and enlightening time-killer.

No comments: